Cambuslang Rangers 0-1 Lugar Boswell Thistle

Stagecoach Super League 1st Division

Friday 20th May

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers failed to deliver that all important first win for the new management team of Scott Archer and Archie Malley. It was their first game in charge as a team and it didn't go to plan.


Lang have been on quite a downward spiral since the ousting of Andy Cunningham and the end of the season can't come quick enough for most fans. Lugar Boswell were the visitors to Somervell in Friday's rearranged fixture as not to clash with the F.A. Cup final live on TV. it didn't make that big a difference as Lang played out the game in one of the lowest gates for a while.


Cambuslang were missing a few players yet again but Scott Archer had as good a squad to pick from as they have had all season. The only notable absentee was keeper Craig Rowan. his starting spot was taken by the more than capable stand in David Lowe.


Cambuslang put in one of there better performances of late but it was still far short of what is needed and expected at Somervell. As early as the 2nd minute and Lang keeper Lowe was forced into a stop, saving with his feet from Cameron. A minute later and it was Cambuslang who almost scored. A fine break up field by Galloway and he found Brown with a fine pass, Brown fired in a superb effort that the keeper did well to tip onto the bar and out for a corner kick. 30 seconds later and Brown rattled the bar with another fine effort. At the other end and Cambuslang defender Burns almost put through his own net, the ball was fizzed across the face of goal and Burns deflected the ball inches wide. The visitors rattled the bar with a fine header from Cameron and Galloway was alert to clear the danger. The visitors should have taken the lead on the half hour mark. A deep cross into the box found Eaglesham unmarked but he headed into the arms of a thankful Lowe. The breakthrough came on 40 minutes. A misjudged jump by Ferguson allowed Walker a free header and he made no mistake heading past Lowe.

H-T 0-1

Lang manager Archer made 2 changes at the break. Wither this was to get a look at other players or a message to some players is anyone's guess. But nonetheless off went Ferguson, Brown and McGowan. On came Trialist, Tyzcinski and Graham.


Cambuslang started the 2nd half a little more livelier and 2 quick chances in succession saw Alan McCrae almost bring Lang level, his first effort was well saved by the keeper and a minute later the same player slid a Steven Tyzcinski cross inches wide of the far post.


The game erupted 66 minutes and both sides found themselves down to 10 men. Tyzcinski was the victim of a very late challenge from Bell. Tyzcinski reacted to the challenge as did Alan Paterson who bounced the ball off the Lugar player and was immediately shown the red card. Bell followed soon after for the scything tackle that started it all. The visitors could have wrapped up the points minutes later but sub Bone saw his effort come back off the post. Lowe kept his side in it with 10 minutes to go with a stunning point blank effort from Cameron. With 5 minutes remaining Lang went close through Coulter his placed shot shaved the post on its way past.


F-T 0-1

Lowe, Fisher, Burns, Ferguson (Trialist 45), McGowan (Graham 45), Coulter, Galloway, Paterson, Brown (Tyzcinski 45), McCrae, McCarroll

Subs Not Used Trialist, Trialist