Cambuslang Rangers 1-2 Cumbernauld

Abercorn Builders Premier League

Saturday 20th October

at Somervell Park

Cambuslang Rangers dismal run continues after they suffered their third defeat in a row when Cumbernauld United left Somervell with all 3 points last weekend. The visitors came into the match sitting at the bottom of the table with only 1 point from their previous 4 league games. Cambuslang could not afford to lose this one but that is exactly what they did and continued their slide down the league table.

The home side went into the game still without injured skipper Billy Holmes (back), Kenny Balmain (foot) but Stewart Taylor had recovered in record time from a broken toe. Stuart Maxwell came into the starting line up after coming off the bench v Johnstone and scoring the Lang's goal. Still no place for Mattie Coulter and also Graham Doak was dropped to the bench.

In recent weeks Cambuslang have struggled to find the back of the net and today's game was to be no different. Cumbernauld were quite happy to hit Cambuslang on the break and almost caught them after 10 minutes when Paisley had his effort charged down and cleared. A mix up in the Lang defence lead to the visitors first goal, Devanney was short with his pass back to keeper Wardlaw who had to stretch to get a block in but the ball rebounded to Paisley 18 yards out who calmly slotted into the empty net. Cambuslang went in search for an equaliser and Gauley almost provided it but the Nauld keeper pulled off a fine stop, despite losing his footing he managed to block while on his knees. On the half-hour mark Gauley capitalised on a defensive blunder but his shot went inches wide. Cumbernauld should have made it two but Wardlaw pulled off an excellent stop from Morrison. Cambuslang went in at half time just the one behind after Wardlaws stop.

H-T 0-1

Cambuslang started the second half a little better and Devanney tested the keeper with a long-range effort. Maxwell had fine run and shot that was deflected just wide. Cumbernauld's McPhee was first into the referee's notebook for a poor challenge on Maxwell. Cambuslang had an excellent chance to draw level after Mitchell's headed back across goal came to Watson but his effort was blocked by the keeper who knew little about it. Cambuslang then had Richardson booked for dissent. Cumbernauld almost doubled their lead on 66 minutes. Substitute McClintock rattled the woodwork with a blistering drive. Cambuslang replaced Taylor with Gilhaney in an attempt to get an equaliser. Maxwell then saw his viscous in swinging corner cleared off the line. With 10 minutes remaining the visitors grabbed the killer second. McClintock waltzed past 3 Lang defenders who failed to put in a decent tackle before despatching the ball past the despairing Wardlaw. This seemed to kick the home side into life who started to play a bit., and indeed began to make chances for themselves but it was all too little too late. Mitchell pulled a goal back within a minute when he nodded in after the initial shot by Daisley was blocked and as the ball spun up in the air Mitchell stuck his head on it to nod home and give the Lang a bit of hope. Maxwell picked up his mandatory booking for dissent and then almost grabbed a dramatic equaliser when he fired in a free kick but the keeper did well to tip it onto the cross bar.

F-T 1-2

Line up


Wardlaw, Devanney, Taylor (Gilhaney 75), Kavanagh, Watson, Richardson, Gauley, Mitchell, Daisley, Maxwell & Paterson

Subs not used Dunn, McDougall, Doak & Coulter.


McLaughlin, Kelly, Young, McPherson, Keddie, Rae, Martin, G McPhee, Paisley, Morrison & Thomson

Subs from Wilson, Cochran, K McPhee, Glancy & McClintock