Maybole 1-2 Cambuslang Rangers

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 20th November


Cambuslang Rangers bounced back from the disappointing Cup exit last weekend to record arguably their most important result of the season. It would have been so easy for the Lang players to be feeling sorry for themselves and defeat here could all but have ended the Somervell Park sides season.


Cambuslang squad frailties were exposed big time as both Manager and Assistant had to be named as subs. With Paterson and McCrae still on holiday and McGregor, Doak and Holmes on the injured list the bench could not even be filled.


Despite all this Cambuslang still came away with a vital three points that come the end of the season could be priceless.


Derek Carmichael returned to the starting line up after injury and probably earlier than the management team would have liked as he hadn't played any first team football for a few months. The Lang midfielder though turned in an impressive match and only missed out on the Man of the Match award due to Willie Galloway's tireless running up and down the flanks.


A cagey opening from both sides saw them feel each other out before any real threats appeared. Cambuslang had a half chance on 15 minutes when Brown found himself in on goal but some hesitation allowed Keeper McDonald to save at the Lang strikers feet.


On 20 minutes the home side carved open the Lang defence and Proctors shot from the left was easily saved by Rowan. On the half hour mark, McCarroll should have done better when he worked space for himself but he pulled his effort across the face of gaol when a shot looked the better option. Maybole were showing very little in front of the Lang goal and when they did find away through, Rowan looked as if he would stop anything that was thrown at him. Indeed the Lang keeper was called into action when McFadden tested him from long range but the effort was saved. On 35 minutes Lang's Galloway Cut in from the left but his effort was half saved by McDonald but the power of his shot saw it spin into the net for the opener.


Cambuslang fans were still celebrating when Maybole drew level. A high ball into the box was not dealt with by the Lang defence allowing McFadden all the time needed to head past Rowan.


H-T 1-1


Cambuslang stated the second half on the attack and Brown had a chance after Galloway played him in but he lost possession after being crowded out by Gardener and Campbell, a stubborn duo, in the Maybole defence. Cambuslang found themselves on the back foot and Rowan was forced into another fine stop this time from Hosies diving header.


Cambuslang scored what turned out to be the winner on the hour mark. An impressive return to the side by Carmichael was rewarded with the gaol that sealed the points. The equally impressive Galloway fed Brown who in turn slipped the ball to Carmichael who slotted past McDonald from 12 yards. 10 minutes later and the visitors cud have wrapped up the game but Galloway elected to cross the ball when a shot at goal might have been more rewarding. Only a minute later McCarroll found himself in the same position and he produced similar results. Cambuslang brought on Young for Brown and also gave Archer a run out in a bid to run down the clock. The home side started to pound the visitors defence. Several chances were squandered by Proctor and McFadden up front. But Cambuslang held on for the three points that could prove priceless come May.


Lang Rowan, Fisher, Burns, Feenie, McGrath, Coulter, Carmichael, Galloway, Brown (Young 80), McCarroll & Tyczynski (Archer 85)

Subs Not Used Cunningham and Lowe