Cambuslang Rangers 0-4 Arthurlie

Rockware Super 1st Division

Saturday 22nd March

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers faced the daunting task of taking on current league leaders Arthurlie on Saturday. Manager Andy Cunningham didn't have his problems to seek either as his team scrap for every available point in the fight to escape relegation. The Cambuslang manager was forced to shuffle his pack yet again as he was left without a full defence. Jim Kavanagh, Derek Watson, Gary McGregor Alan Foster and Craig Ferguson were all ruled out through injury. Andy Cunningham was forced to play Davy Webster in the unfamiliar role at the back. There were also a couple of other changes which saw Daisley and Paterson make way for Dignam, Carmichael and McCrae took Ferguson's spot.


As Cambuslang hunt for every point available this was not going to be an easy afternoon for the Lang defence and that was soon realised as the visitors exerted early pressure.

With only 5 minutes on the clock the visitors registered their first attempt on target but McGovern in the Lang goal saved easily. The home defence were given a scare when Taylor was short with a pass back to McGovern but the keeper did well to block the attempted lob. Cambuslang responded through both McCrae and Taylor who both had good shots blocked on the way to goal. Cambuslang could have been 1 behind after only 10 minutes but McGovern was quick off his line to block the shot. Cambuslang then had a shot cleared off the line,  McCrae the man to hit the target. The visitors eventually made the break through on 20 minutes. There was an obvious hand ball in the box but the referee somehow missed the incident and had to rely on the far side linesman awarding the spot kick, Feenie the offender. Jack made no mistake from he award and despite a brave attempt by McGovern the pace carried the ball into the net. That lead was doubled on 20 minutes with what looked a clear offside. Allison for the visitors was allowed to carry on despite the protests from the Lang back line and he calmly crossed the ball for Downs to knock home. At the end of the half Cambuslang picked up two bookings in quick succession, Taylor was first for a crude challenge and he was swiftly followed by Webster.


H-T 0-2


Cambuslang could have pulled a goal back at the start of the second half. Dignam played in Holmes but he pulled his shot just wide of the far post. Cambuslang's afternoon went from bad to worse when Feenie deflected a shot past his own keeper for Arthurlie's 3rd. Cambuslang made an immediate change when they replaced McCrae and Balmain with Lyons and Paterson. There was very little on offer form Cambuslang and it was no surprise when the visitors added a forth. Lyons gave away possession allowing McKenzie to complete the rout. The fourth Arthurlie goal saw them use all 3 substitutes a minute later. Jack, McKenzie and Downs were all replaced. Cambuslang had one last chance for a consolation but Carmichael miss controlled in the box allowing the keeper to gather.


F-T 0-4


McGovern, Feenie, Taylor, Webster, Doak, Balmain (Paterson 56), McCrae ( Lyons 56), Stoddart, Holmes (Daisley 65), Carmichael & Dignam

Subs Not Used Ferguson & Wardlaw


This weekend Cambuslang have No Game