Rutherglen Glencairn 0-1 Cambuslang Rangers

Coulter 66mins

Beatons Coaches Sectional League Cup

Wednesday 22nd August

at Southcroft

Cambuslang Rangers booked their quarterfinal spot after a single goal victory over Glencairn. Mattie Coulter was the surprise scorer in what turned out to be quite a battle for the holders. Some heroics in goal from the Lang's Wardlaw played a big part in getting the Lang through where they will meet Larkhall next weekend.

The game started with Cambuslang on the attack and almost took the lead after 5 minutes when Gauley found himself in acres of space but his free header went just wide. The home side replied immediately when Smith's header was heading for the top corner but a superb save by Wardlaw saw him claw the ball away and put it behind for a corner, it looked a goal all the way. Glens Grant Smith was first into the referee's notebook for a foul on Richardson. Glencairn then tested Wardlaw again and he pulled off another fine save to keep the Lang in front, five minutes later and he saved well again from Smith.

H-T 0-0

Five minutes into the second half and Glencairn were awarded an indirect free kick inside the box after Wardlaw had no option but to save a pass back that was drifting over his head, but the home side wasted the opportunity and the chance was gone. Glencairn should have opened the scoring on the hour mark but Smith shot wide from a good position. A minute later and Cambuslang had to rely on Wardlaw to keep them level. Smith was in on goal with only the keeper to beat but an unorthodox block kept the ball out. Straight after that and the visitors took the lead, Coulter got on the end of Mitchell's downward header and fired the ball into the roof of the net. Cambuslang then went close with efforts from Gauley and then a double save kept Balmains effort out. The game burst into life on 68 minutes when Glencairn were awarded a controversial penalty, Malloy threw himself to the floor in an attempt to con the referee and that it exactly what he done. The referee pointed to the spot to the amazement of the Cambuslang players who surrounded him to protest. Mitchell was yellow carded when it all died down. Justice was done when Wardlaw dived to his left to pull off another fine stop. Minutes later and Glencairn were reduced to 10 men when Malloy, who had just earned the penalty, received his second yellow card for a poor challenge on Maxwell. Coulter missed a half chance to seal the game. With tem minutes left the Glens were further reduced when S Smith was sent off for retaliation. Young Lang full back Taylor caught Smith with a poorly timed challenge and that was all it was poorly timed but the big Glens striker lunged at the Lang player grabbing him which in today's game is a red card offence, he even had the audacity to complain about the red card, and he wasn't finished there as he had ago at fans and committee on the way to the dressing rooms.

F-T 0-1

Lang line up

Wardlaw, Devanney, Taylor, Kavanagh, Balmain, Coulter, Gauley, Richardson, Mitchell, Maxwell & Holmes( Lever 80)

Subs not used McDougall, Doak, Graham & Watson