Clydebank Juniors 1-0 Cambuslang Rangers

West of Scotland Cup 2nd Round

Saturday 23rd October

at Glenhead Park


Cambuslang Rangers were sent crashing out of the West Cup by lower league opposition at the weekend. Clydebank were the victors by 1 goal to nil. A poor performance from Cambuslang sees there poor record in this competition continue.


Neither team impressed and the home side looked that little bit hungrier than Cambuslang. Had Cambuslang taken some of their early chances then the game could have been so much different as the controlled the game for long spells but some poor finishing cost them dearly in the end up.


The visitors were still missing key players, with Doak, McGregor and Carmichael still all out with injuries.


Cambuslang's best chance of the match came as early as the first minute when Galloway played the ball into the box, Clydebank failed to cut out the cross and the ball came to Brown 1 yard from goal but he somehow slid his effort wide of the post. The home side reacted instantly and tested Rowan in the Lang goal. Maxwell had his shot parried and then gathered. The visitors went close only a minute later and this time Billy Holmes headed wide. On the half hour another excellent chance went a begging and Brown again the sinner as he fired wide from close range. Despite all Cambuslang 'so first half dominance and pressure they somehow went in at the break level.

H-T 0-0


Cambuslang were still creating chances in this match and they were good chances but the Lang strikers were just having an off day coupled with a good display from the Bankies No 1. 3 minutes into the 2nd half and Cambuslang missed another good chance. Brown turn and shot was well saved by Halpin in goal. The first booking of the afternoon went to Lang's Feenie, he gave away a 'good' free kick as the Bankies Hailstones threatened to get away from him and this would have left Rowan exposed so the old head was used by the veteran defender. Clydebank created their best chance of the game on 57 minutes when Fallen saw his header cleared off the line after a timely intervention by Rowan, he and Paterson combining to prevent the opening goal of the game. Clydebank made a change on the hour mark Clinton Maxwell making way for Derek Readie. 2 minutes after the change and the home side were in front, Hailstones got away from Ferguson and delivered the ball across the face of goal for the waiting Brady and he knocked home despite a good effort from Rowan to keep the ball out. Clydebank were still celebrating when Cambuslang hit back with what was their best chance of the game, a low, hard shot was driven in by McCarroll and Billy Holmes reaction was to stick out a foot and direct the ball towards goal but the Bankies keeper somehow kept it out with a point-blank save. Cambuslang made a change when they took off a striker and brought on a defender. Graham coming on the replace McCrae, seemed strange at a time you are 1-0 down chasing a game. Galloway was fortunate to remain on the field after he reacted angrily to a challenge from goal scorer Brady. The referee spoke to both player even though Galloway raised his hands and he could have walked. Clydebank were quite happy to sit back and soak up the pressure and there back line stood firm as Cambuslang ran out of ideas and failed to find away through an impressive defence. Cambuslang made another change as Holmes made way for Young. highlight of the game was when Bankies Allison was on the right hand wing, he played Keepie Up and passed Ferguson with ease before unleashing a tremendous effort that smacked of the junction of post and bar. Jamie McCarrol got booked in injury time for dissent.

F-T 1-0


Rowan, Ferguson, Burns, Feenie, Coulter, Paterson, McCarroll, Holmes (Young 88), Brown, McCrae (Graham 70), Galloway

Subs Not Used

Lowe, Tyczynski & McGrath