Vale of Leven 2-3 Cambuslang Rangers

O.V.D. Scottish Cup 4th Round

Saturday 24th January

at Millburn Park


Lang Edge 5-Goal Thriller


Cambuslang Rangers moved into the last 16 of the O.V.D Scottish Cup on Saturday after a last gasp victory over Vale of Leven. Cambuslang's late late winner came from the boot of second half sub Alan McCrae which added to earlier strikes from Burns and Holmes sent the fans wild.


Cambuslang were well aware of what to expect after both teams had met only a few weeks earlier in the league with the Alexandria side running out 3-1 winners. The visitors were minus both Iain Stoddart and Brian Martin who were suspended after their red cards in their previous match.


Despite the heavy rain Millburn was in tiptop condition for this match which Cambuslang Rangers dominated for long spells but were finding it hard to break down the well organised Vale defence. Lang defender Burns was first to threaten on the left but his shot was easily saved by the Vale keeper. Cambuslang main goal threat Paul Brown could easily have had a hat trick in the first 8 minutes. Twice the striker was through on goal but each time the chance was wasted and the third saw him slip at the vital minute allowing Dennison to gather. Despite all Cambuslang pressing it was the home side that took a shock lead on the 25th minute mark. A corner from the left found Wardle and he headed home his eighth goal of the season to put Vale in front. Lang responded with a short free kick to Feeney that saw the defenders powerful shot deflected wide for a corner. From the resulting corner kick Lang were on level terms Paul Brown found himself unchallenged and his close range header found the back of the net. On 35 minutes Cambuslang should have found themselves in front, but skipper Billy Holmes prodded his shot wide from 6 yards. Vale almost got a second at the end of the half but a timely header off the line by Galloway saw the teams go in level at the break.

H-T 1-1


Cambuslang continued to dominate as they did in the first half and on 47 minutes they went in front. Another corner seemed to be misjudged by the Vale keeper allowing the clever Billy Holmes the opportunity to head home from point blank range to put the Lang in front.


To Vales credit they continued to push forward with the pace of Boal and Wilson causing all sorts of problems unfortunately their finishing let them down when it mattered. With 15 minutes remaining and Brian Wardle again pushed forward Vale got the equaliser they deserved. Alan Browns long free kick was headed on by Wardle and Wilson read the situation to get in first to knock the ball past the advancing keeper and into the net. Cambuslang then replaced Ferguson, who picked up an injury, with Carmichael. 5 minutes later and the visitors were forced into another change this time when Brown picked up a knock, his place was taken by Love. In the Lang's last throw of the dice McCrae was thrown into the action at the expense of Billy Holmes. Just as the game looked to be heading for a replay up popped McCrae with the winner. He was through on goal and his initial effort was blocked, the ball broke to Love who quickly played the ball back to McCrae who then fired home from 12 yards which sparked mass celebration among the Somervell Park Supporters.  


Line up

Rown, Doak, McGregor, Fennie, Ferguson (Carmichael 60), Coulter, Galloway, McCarroll, Brown (Love 67), Holmes (McCrae 76) & Burns


Subs Not Used

Murphy (GK) & Hutchison