Cambuslang Rangers 3-2 Port Glasgow

Gauley 16mins

McKay 15min

Robertson 20mins

Wardlaw (og )70mins

Dunn 60mins



Abercorn Builders 1st Division
Saturday 24th February
at Somervell Park


Cambuslang manager Andy Cunningham went with the same side that drew 0-0 with Lesmahagow last weekend. John McCabe started on the bench after recovering from a bought of Flu, Stewart Maxwell was missing as he is sitting out a suspension. Jim Kavanangh was still missing with a muscle strain allowing Bernie Mulligan to retain his spot in the defence. Cambuslang hung onto the narrow 3-2 victory but for the last 5 minutes the visitors rarely threatened the home side. Some poor finishing from the Lang failed to but the Gloss on the fine performance.

The home side almost opened the scoring with their first attack of the afternoon, Devanney inches away from steering Holmes low dangerous cross into the net. Cambuslang thought they had opened the scoring through Billy Holmes, he got on the end of Daisley's cross and headed by the keeper but the referee ruled the effort out for offside. The visitors took a shock lead with there first effort on target. It was a bizarre goal to concede. Port's McKay fired in a weak effort which Wardlaw had all the way before the ball somehow found itself nestling in the back of the net, giving the keeper the benefit of the doubt the surface did not help matters. Cambuslang bounced back and within a minute were level. A fine deep cross by full back Gary Robertson was met at full stretch by Stuart Gauley and his diving header found the top corner despite a brave effort from the Port keeper to keep it out but it was the pace and power that beat him. The same two players combined a few minutes later to put the Lang in front, this time Gauley was the provider for Robertson, Gauley fine run to the edge of the box before slipping the ball to the on rushing Robertson who fired in a blistering shot which once a gain the keeper got a hand on it but couldn't keep it out due the sheer power in the shot. port responded immediately and almost levelled from the restart. Port took a quick free kick and Dickson fired in a shot which Andrew Noble did well to get a block in but the ball spun up in the air before going narrowly wide of the post. Dickson was the first player to be booked for dissent he was quickly followed by Smolarek for a foul on Robertson.


H-T 2-1

Cambuslang started the second half with a bang and should have added to the first half lead. A fine persistent run by Daisley saw him fire in a shot which the keeper did well to parry but he only parried it to the feet of Holmes who slotted home but for the second time in the game it was ruled out for offside. Port responded again this time rattling the post after a fine shot by McKay. Cambuslang then proceeded to dominate the match and created a number of chances but the strikers were not taking them. Daisley had a half chance but he pulled his effort well wide of the target. Then Billy Holmes was the sinner he mis-kicked in front of goal after Robertson had played him in and his shot was cleared off the line. Next up Mark Dunn tested the keeper with a fine shot and again the keeper saved. Port then replaced Harkness with Beaton and Cambuslang brought on McCabe for Mulligan. Cambuslang then grabbed their third, Devanney running to the bye line before cutting the ball back to Dunn who hammered in a superb shot from 10 yards giving the keeper no chance. Cambuslang could have found themselves reduced to ten men after Devanney reacted to a poor challenge on him and lifting your hands is a red card offence but the referee only produced a yellow to the relief of the home support. It was Cambuslang who were awarded the free kick and McCabe shot just past with the keeper rooted to the spot. Port were thrown a lifeline when Anderson rattled the woodwork only to see his shot cannon off the back of Wardlaw in goal and over the line, where is luck when you need it? Cambuslang then replaced scorer Mark Dunn with another wide player Ryan Lever. Cambuslang should have killed the game on 78 minutes, Gauley beat the offside trap and squared to Daisley but he shot tamely wide from 6 yard in what was a poor effort from a player failing to find the net recently. He was soon replaced by Earlie. The sub almost made an immediate impact but he saw his effort blocked. The last ten minutes saw the visitors put Cambuslang under some pressure, and some desperate defending kept their lead intact. In the final minute Port almost grabbed a dramatic equaliser, Monroe saw his effort cleared off the line after a vital stop by Wardlaw more than making up for the earlier error and Gauley cleared off the line before the referee blew for time up.



F-T 3-2

Line up's
Cambuslang: Wardlaw, Robertson, Mulligan, Doak, Noble, Richardson, Gauley, Devanney, Daisley, Holmes & Dunn
Subs from: McCabe, McDougall, Levar, Balmain & Earlie
Port Glasgow: Conway, Piggott, Harkness, Foreman, Smolarek, Dickson, McKay, Brown, Anderson, Alford & Coyle
Subs from : Beaton, Monroe & Johnstone