Cambuslang Rangers 3-3 Vale of Leven

Abercorn 1st Division

Saturday 24th April

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang fresh from the midweek win against Glencairn found themselves down to the bare bones of the squad after Brown, McGregor & Carmichael were all ruled out through injury. Coming back from injury was young Richie love and he made it onto the bench for the first time in a few weeks after recovering from shin problems.


Frustration for the home fans yet again this week as they contrived to throw away a 2 goal lead not once but twice in this match. Having lead rather comfortably at 2-0 and 3-1 they found themselves having to settle for a point as Vale rallied at the end to snatch a draw, It could have been much worse for Lang as Vale had a couple of great chances near the end to take all three points but on both occasions they were denied by blocks on the goal line.


The game started pretty evenly with both sides having chances. Vale could have taken the lead after only 5 minutes when Browns long free kick saw Smith and Martin challenge in the air and when the ball came down Smith with his back to goal could only head into the arms of keeper Rowan from 6 yards out. At the other end a quick break caught out Vale and when Lacy slipped, Holmes latched onto a defensive error and as he made inroads towards the Vale goal he was being pulled back all the time but the referee allowed the Lang striker to carry on and the Lang striker sent a low shot inches past Dennisons left hand post. The home side pressure eventually paid off on 20 minutes. Alan McCrae picked up the ball 20 yards out and unleashed a thunderous drive that the Vale keeper was nowhere as the ball flew past him into the top corner of the net. Minutes later and the visitors were forced into a change when Smith failed to recover after colliding wit the perimeter wall after an accidental clash with Doak. His place was taken by McKenzie. A high up and under from Fox almost brought Vale level after 32 minutes when his effort deceived keeper Rowan and rebounded from the far post and had Ruane been quicker to react Vale would surely have gained better than the corner they received when his follow up effort was blocked. Vale were finding it extremely difficult to get to grips with the clever play from the home sides tricky front pairing of Holmes and McCrae and following a corner after 42 minutes it was McCrae who netted his second goal of the afternoon and it was every bit as impressive as his first strike. He took one touch before firing in another fine strike from 25 yards and again giving the keeper no chance. As Cambuslang were coasting towards the interval some sloppy play at the back cost them dear. With only 2 minutes of the half remaining Vale were given a lifeline when they pulled a goal back, Hugh Ward did well on the left and from his precise cut back the inrushing McKenzie saw his initial effort blocked by Martin but followed up to fire the ball into the net from 6 yards.


H-T 2-1


The visitors started the second half brightly an almost scored minutes into it. They almost snatched an equaliser after only three minutes of the restart when Ward almost caught out Rowan with a shot on the turn that flew across the keepers path missing the target by inches. At the other end Dennison had to look smart to get across his goal to stop a dipping shot from Ferguson. On 65 minutes Cambuslang replaced McCarroll with Galloway. 2 minutes later and the home side looked to have wrapped up the game. A looping header from skipper Billy Holmes went over the Vale keeper and into the net for a 3-1 lead. On 70 minutes Lang replaced the influential Ferguson with Stoddart. This change was to have a major impact on the game as Cambuslang struggled to get any rhythm into their play and they fell to bits. They were missing the surging runs from Ferguson and this change seemed to knock Cambuslang sideways. The visitors pulled to within 1 goal after Coulter deflected the ball past his own keeper. McBrides hopeful ball into the box found Ward and he controlled the ball before beating Burns on the bye line and his driven cross was intended for Grace but a Coulter stuck out a foot diverting the ball past a helpless Rowan. Within 3  minutes the visitors had drawn level. A surging run from Goodwin won a corner on the left and from Browns corner sent a glancing header into the roof of the net much to the delight of the noisy Vale support.  In the closing minutes Vale twice had good efforts blocked as the home side struggled to hold on.


F-T 3-3




Rowan, Doak, Burns, Feenie, Martin, Ferguson (Stoddart 70), Paterson, Coulter, Holmes, McCrae, McCarroll (Galloway 65)

Subs From

Love, Archer and Brown