Cambuslang Rangers 3-0 Blantyre Vics

Sectional League Cup

Saturday 25th August

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang recorded their biggest win in the cup so far but it still wasn't enough to make the quarterfinals. East Kilbride's victory over Glencairn booked their slot from Section 5. Cambuslang were still without the injured Watson and also keeper Alan Wardlaw who has back trouble. Stevie McGovern kept his place in goals.

Lang manager Andy Cunningham tried a new combination in his defence when Kenny Balmain took up the Sweeper roll. Not a role he is too familiar with but one he carried out quite well. Going into the game Cambuslang and Glencairn both had a glimmer of hope of progressing but it wasn't to be. Cambuslang's poor start in the competition when they lost the opening two games has cost them dearly. Cambuslang had already beaten the Vics 2-0 so this time it was the visitors looking for some revenge.


Cambuslang should have taken the lead as early as the 5th minute but a weak header by McFarlane was easily saved. Blantyre had a great chance to take the lead but a header back into the danger area went unpunished when there were no takers. Cambuslang best chance of the game fell to Galloway, who from 5 yards out completely miss kicked the ball and it flew wide of the target. Lang keeper McGovern was called into action and had to be alert when he stopped Blantyre with a fine stop. Cambuslang took the lead on 36 minutes when the lively Davidson got on the end of Stoddarts knock across goal. That lead was doubled a couple of minutes later when a Lang corner was only half cleared to Paterson who from 25 yards fired in a rocket of a volley into the bottom corner giving the Vics keeper no chance.


H-T 2-0


Cambuslang started the second half the same way they finished the first, with a goal. Gary McGregor steaming in at the back post met McFarlane’s corner and his bullet header flew into the roof of the net for a very rare goal indeed from the Lang defender. Lang's Daisley was prevented from adding to that tally when The Vics keeper dived at his feet as he attempted to round the keeper. On the hour mark Cambuslang brought on Holmes and Dingham to replace Davidson and Stoddart. Lang's Galloway picked up a needless booking for speaking out of turn. Cambuslang were then forced into another change when Daisley had to leave the field with an injury. McCrae replaced him. The home side could have added to their tally but some brave defending was keeping them at bay. Vics keeper spilled a Paterson shot and it came to McFarlane but his effort was blocked then cleared. Cambuslang went close through Holmes when he fired over from a McCrae pass. Dingham almost scored a beauty but his chip from 20 yards fell just the wrong side of the post.

F-T 3-0


Cambuslang finished runner up in a group won by East Kilbride. The two opening defeats being their downfall. East Kilbride were the best team in the group and now go on to play Cumbernauld in the Quarter Final.


Lang Line up


McGovern, Kavanagh, McGregor, Balmain, Webster, Paterson, Stoddart (Holmes 60) Galloway, Daisley (McCrae 66), Davidson (Dingham 60) & McFarlane

Subs not used Taylor & Smith


3*** Alan Paterson, another commanding performance in midfield

2** Kenny Balmain superb in unfamiliar role

1* Gary McGregor, excellent at back and chipped in with rare goal