Cambuslang 3-0 Petershill

Abercorn Premier League

Saturday 24th November

at Somervell Park

Cambuslang Rangers put the misery of the disappointing Scottish Cup defeat well and truly behind then at the weekend when they returned to league action against Petershill. The home side ran out comfortable 3-0 winners in a tough encounter.

Manager Andy Cunningham rung the changes to the side and brought in to defence, Gary McGregor who rejoined the club from Pollok to make his first full debut. Stewart Taylor was the unlucky player who made way for the new boy and he had to make do with a place on the bench. Despite all the controversy Stuart Gauley returned to the side after missing the Blackburn match and it now seems he will be staying at the Lang for the time being anyway.

The visitors started the better of the two sides and almost took the lead on 12 minutes, somehow the ball just wouldn't go in for them. One effort saw the ball roll right along the goal line before Gary McGregor sheppered it behind for a goal kick. Cambuslang's 17 year old Mark Gihanney blotted his copybook when he was booked for diving. This was to be the first of many from the card happy official. Cambuslang opened the scoring on 17 minutes. Damian Devanney robbed the Peasie defender on the edge of their own box and a slide rule pass found Daisley in on goal and he knocked the ball past the despairing dive of the keeper. Petershill had an effort from Cameron cleared off the line by Paterson. The visitors were dealt a huge blow just before the half time interval when they were reduced to 10 men when Dunn was red carded for an off the ball elbow on Paterson.

H-T 1-0

Cambuslang were forced to make a change at the interval when keeper Wardlaw failed to appear for the second half, he couldn't shake off a knock picked up early in the game. McDougall took his place between the sticks in what was only his second appearance of the season. Cambuslang all but killed the game when they grabbed their second. After a goal mouth scramble the ball came to Gauley 12 yards out and he fired through a ruck of players before the ball went through a defenders legs on the goaline and trundled into the back of the net. Petershill changed it immediately when they replaced Eason with McDonald. The next 10 minutes saw the referee dish out 6 bookings and not a bad tackle in sight. First into the book went Peasie Welsh and he was closely followed 30 seconds later by Mooney both for silly fouls. Cambuslang replaced Dunn with Taylor. Petershill then had their keeper booked for dissent. Cambuslang had Stuart Gauley booked for aiming a kick at Dallas and Devanney closely followed him, a minute later and it was 3-0. Devanney latched onto a fine deep cross into the box and he knocked home.

F-T 3-0

Line ups


Wardlaw, (McDougall 45), Doak, McGregor, Coulter, Devanney, Richardson, Dunn,(Taylor 63), Paterson, Daisley, Gilhaney, (Holmes 85) & Gauley

Subs Not Used Balmain & Johnstone


Chalmers, Easton, Muir, Shannon, Beattie, Cameron, Dallas, Welsh, Dunn, Mooney & Gault

Subs from McKenzie, Finnigan,McDonald, Brown & McKenzie