Cambuslang 1-2 Renfrew   

Rockware Super 1st Division

Saturday 25th January 2003

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang finally got to play a game in 2003 but it wont be one they will want to remember. The game was played in monsoon conditions but was by no means of an excuse for the dismal 1st half display.


Manager Andy Cunningham gave a start to his new signing John Lyons but the midfielder failed to impress on his debut for the Lang as did a few of the regulars too.


Keeper Alan Wardlaw was still missing through injury as was Carmichael, Watson, Balmain and Paterson, this meant a bit of shuffling by the management team.


The regular showers did not help the heavy conditions before the game during the game and the park seemed to cut up pretty badly. The visitors didn't take long to find the back of the net after some poor defending from the Lang. 10 minutes on the clock and McLafferty had all the time in the world to pick his spot after he was left in acres of space to latch onto Barr's pass across the face of the penalty area that wasn't cut out. Lang keeper McGovern had to be on his toes minutes later when he punched clear a cross with McLafferty lurking. Renfrew doubled their lead on 25 minutes this time courtesy of a penalty after Ferguson was ruled to have pulled down McLafferty. The Frew striker dusted himself down and calmly slotted past McGovern. Only a minute later and the Frew striker could have grabbed his hat trick, but his drive from 20 yards went inches wide of the upright with McGovern rooted to the spot. With 5 minutes of the half remaining Renfrew were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the penalty box, again Ferguson the culprit. Renfrew were enraged by the decision as they thought it was clearly inside the box. From the resulting free kick Renfrew spurned the chance and blasted weakly over the bar.

H-T 0-2


Cambuslang improved but only slightly in the second half. Webster had Cambuslang's first effort at goal and that came on 47 minutes, but it flew over the bar. On the hour mark Cambuslang threw caution to the wind with a triple substitution. Dignam, Lyons and Galloway were all replaced by Daisley, Kavanagh and Stoddart. This seemed to toughen Cambuslang up a little and they came more and more into the game pushing Renfrew back for the fist time in the game. They finally pulled one back on 77 minutes when sub Ian Stoddart, who had made a big difference since his introduction to the game, hit a pinpoint cross that found the head of Billy Holmes, who guided it into the net while under some severe pressure from the keeper and his defenders. After giving them the life line Cambuslang continued to pressure the visitors but were unable to find that second goal. A disappointing result in a game where Cambuslang just never looked like winning and it was as poor a first half seen down Somervell for some time. Slight improvements in the second but Lang management team know its results like this that will see them slide down the table rapidly.


Line up's


McGovern, Galloway (Kavanagh 60), McGregor, Doak, Ferguson, Webster, Lyons (Stoddart 60), Holmes, McCrae, Dignam (Daisley 60) & McFarlane

Subs Not Used Jones, McDonald



Thomson, Hammond, Brogan, Farquarson, Dickson, Clark, Kenna, Ross, McLafferty, Barr & Prentice

Subs from McNally, Morrison, Quigley, Cuthbert & McCutcheon


This weekend Cambuslang look to gain their first win of the New Year and their first win since early November when Shotts are the visitors to Somervell park. Having already handed the Lang a 5-2 thrashing earlier in the season the home side will be hoping to avenge that.


Cambuslang were handed a home tie in the Central League Cup 1st Round and Lesmahagow will be the visitors to Somervell on the 22nd February.