Maybole v Cambuslang Rangers

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 25th March


Cambuslang Rangers missed a glorious opportunity to close the gap on the teams around them at the foot of the table. a drab 0-0 result did do either side any favours as Maybole too are struggling at the foot of the table.


It was always going to take something special for Cambuslang to escape relegation this season but that chance seems to now have disappeared with Saturday's point.





Cambuslang welcomed back Derek Gemmell, back from injury, in to the middle of the park, where his presence has been sorely missed in the last couple of games. Steven O'Neil also returned to a rearranged Lang line up, Ian McAdam dropped to the bench.


Cambuslang were yet again missing Anderson up front, the former Accies man picked up a bad injury on Tuesday ironically against his former side and the big striker could be out for a few weeks.


Cambuslang found themselves on the back foot early doors and had to rely on the goalkeeper on quite a few occasions over the course of this match. After a couple of early scares, Maybole forced Calder into his first decent save of the game after only 5 minutes.


Cambuslang's first real effort at goal came after 20 minutes had elapsed. Faulds found himself in acres of space but the Lang striker took too long allowing Maybole defenders time to get back and get a tackle in. Taylor, pushed into a more advanced role, fired over from 20 yards after fine work by Faulds.

Cambuslang had a few chances in the first half but were unable to test the Maybole keeper.


Irons should have done better with his effort that flew high over the bar and only a minute before the break Cambuslang had strong appeals for a penalty waived away after it appeared Irons was pushed over. But the ref was having none of it, Maybole picked up the first yellow card of the game when Murdoch was booked for foul and abusive language towards the official.


H-T 0-0




The home side should have opened the scoring 8 minutes into the second half. A deep cross was not cut out by the Lang defence and the ball came to The Maybole striker but he fired wide from a good position and that was a huge let off for the visitors. On the hour mark Cambuslang replaced Gemmell with Gilroy. Cambuslang almost fell behind when Maybole beat the offside, despite Lang appeals, skipper Andy Noble was playing the attacker on and Calder came to the rescue with a fine stop and spared the Lang skippers blushes.


Faulds had another chance to put the Lang in front but yet a gain the Lang man failed to hit the target firing over form 12 yards. Calder produced another fine stop this time a long range effort was turned round the post a Maybole applied some pressure on the Lang defence. With 10 minutes remaining Cambuslang should have opened the scoring. Irons played the ball into Gilroy who's fine turn gave him plenty of time and space to get the shot in but the Lang man fired well over the top from all of 6 yards out, a poor finish from the Lang striker. Cambuslang replaced McCracken with trialist on 84 minutes but the sub had little time to get into the game, then Faulds was replaced with McElhone.

Irons for Cambuslang picked up a needless booking after a silly foul in the middle of the park, his frustration clearly showing. Cambuslang picked up another booking when sub McAdam, not even on the park, was yellow carded for something said the linesman.

F-T 0-0


A disappointing result for both sides who needed all 3 points to keep the hope of survival alive.


F-T 0-0


 1.    Calder

 2.    Noble

 3.    O'Neil

 4.    Martin

 5.    Gray

 6.    Irons

 7.    Gallagher

 8.    McCracken (Trialist 84)

 9.    Faulds (McElhone 88)

10    Gemmell (Gilroy 60)

11    Taylor