Cambuslang Rangers 0-0 Petershill

Rockware Glass Super 1st Division

Saturday 26th April

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang collected a valuable point in their quest to avoid relegation at the weekend when Petershill were the visitors to Somervell. Although Cambuslang need victories to maintain their position in the Super League set up, a point is better than none.


Cambuslang were once again without Gary McGregor who is recovering from a knee injury although he did make it onto the bench. Stewart Taylor was also ruled out due to Holiday. The point leaves Cambuslang still near the bottom of the table and only 1 point clear of the drop zone so their next two games will be vital.


Lang keeper Stevie McGovern was called upon as early as the 3rd minute when he plucked a dangerous cross from the head of the Pease striker. The home side should have went in front on 6 minutes. A dangerous cross was flighted in by Paterson, skipper Billy Holmes managed to get on the end of it but his header rattled the bar before going behind. Petershill hit back immediately when McKenzie fired inched wide, making full use of the strong wind at his back. Cambuslang then had another couple of chances to break the deadlock, firstly Paterson forced the keeper into a fine stop when he volleyed Holmes flick on and from the resulting corner Holmes headed inches over the bar. Lang striker Carmichael picked up the first booking of the game for one moan to much towards the official. Cambuslang keeper McGovern produced another fine stop this time when Reilly fired goalward. The home side were forced into a change when Dignam had to be stretcher off after falling awkwardly in a tackle. His place was taken by Kenny Balmain. Cambuslang had strong claims for a penalty at the end of the half when Carmichael went down inside the box under a challenge from Muir but the referee was having none of it and waived play on.

H-T 0-0

The second half was a pretty drab affair with neither team making any inroads to goal. In an attempt to change this Cambuslang Rangers replaced Stoddart with McCrae. Cambuslang went close when another fine ball into the box from Paterson was this time met by the head of Ferguson but he couldn't find the target and his header went just over the bar. The home side did have the ball in the net a minute later but the referee had blown for a foul by Ferguson. Cambuslang made the third and final change when Daisley came on to replace Carmichael. The substitute was involved immediately and indeed should have opened the scoring. In a one on one situation with the keeper the big Striker fired wide. Lang keeper McGovern came to his sides rescue once again, Welsh header looked to be heading for the back of the net until the big keeper stuck out a leg and somehow managed to keep the shot out. Cambuslang final effort of the match came once again from the head of Holmes. Paterson once again set up the striker, who on another day could have bagged a hat trick, but his header again failed to trouble the keeper.


F-T 0-0


McGovern, Ferguson, Doak, Feenie, Kavanagh, Paterson, Stoddart (McCrae 70), Holmes, Carmichael (Daisley 80), Webster & Dignam (Balmain 45)

Subs Not Used McGregor & Wardlaw