Cambuslang Rangers 0-3 Neilston

Stagecoach Super 1st Division

Saturday 27th August 2005

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers slumped to a disappointing defeat at the hands of Neilston at the weekend when they went down 3-0 at home. This was a pretty poor showing for the Somervell Park side who created very little in front of goal. 2 goals at the end of the 1st half all but killed off Cambuslang as they looked to build on the fine display against Largs in the previous game.


Manager Scott Archer made only 1 change from the Largs game and in came defender O'Neil at the expense of Gallagher. Striker Porter was still missing through injury.


For most part of this game the ball just bounced a bout the middle of the park with no one really taking any responsibility. Indeed it was a whole 20 minutes before Cambuslang had a strike at goal. Burns saw his effort easily saved by the Neilston keeper. Neilston went close on 24 minutes but Smith shot found the side netting. Neilston opened the scoring on 40 minutes. a free kick 25 yards out was rifled past McGovern and into the top corner, the Lang keeper could no nothing to stop this excellent effort. This was a bit of a blow to Cambuslang as Neilston had shown very little up to that point. Things were to get worse for the Somervell Park side as the slipped 2 behind just before the break. This was a really poor goal to concede as the Neilston midfielder waltzed through the centre of the Lang defence and past a couple of half hearted tackles before slamming the ball past the once again helpless keeper.

Despite Cambuslang lack of cutting edge, they didn't deserve to go in at the break 2 goals behind. But Neilston took both the chances that came their way and that was the difference between both sides.

H-T 0-2


It was pretty much the same story in the second half with Cambuslang struggling to make any headway. Neilston were very rarely troubled during the match. Skipper Andy Noble conceded possession on the halfway line but recovered well to clear McGuire's effort off the line. Burns went close for the home side when his free kick went inches over the bar. Cambuslang made changes in an effort to get back into the game, Tycznski and Trialist came on for McGowan and Stoddart. The changes made very little difference to the way the game was going and a short time later Cambuslang threw on Gilroy for the injured Faulds. Cambuslang had a decent chance on 80 minutes when McAdam played in Wade but his first touch took him too wide and he ran the ball out of play, he should have done better with the chance. Cambuslang went close again minutes later when Kerr got on the end of Tycznski's corner only for the keeper to pull off a superb save and tip the ball round the post at full stretch. Neilston hammered the nail in on 88 minutes when they grabbed a third goal. A fine strike from the edge of the box flew past McGovern who was rooted to the spot to round off a quite miserable afternoon for the Lang. Lets hope the Jekle and Hyde season sorts it self out soon..


Line up


McGovern, O'Neil, McGowan (Tycznski 63), Noble, Gray, Stoddart (Trialist 63), McAdam, Wade, Menelaws, Faulds (Gilroy 80), Burns

Subs Not Used