Cambuslang Rangers 3-2 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Stagecoach Super League 1st Division

Saturday 27th November

at Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers gathered another vital league win at the weekend when Rob Roy came visiting Somervell Park. The 3-2 score line doesn't indicate the Lang dominance of the game especially in the first half.


It's not very often that manager Andy Cunningham has been able to field the same side 2 weeks in a row but this time he would have wanted to change it as 2 players were available after missing the 2 previous games due to holidays. But Andy kept faith with the boys who defeated Maybole in the previous game.


Paterson and McCrae had to make do with places on the bench as McGrath and Carmichael kept their slots.


All the goals came in the first half and Cambuslang playing some nice football went in at half time noses in front but playing by far the better football but not the healthy lead desired.


Cambuslang were dealt a massive blow after only 10 minutes when they went a goal behind. A deep cross to the back post by Ward was met by the unmarked Convey who headed past Rowan.


The next 10 minutes saw both team fight it out in the middle of the park with no real goal mouth action of note.


On 20 minutes the home side were awarded a penalty when Brown was up ended in the box by the keeper, but despite the foul the ref failed to even book the Roy keeper when he could have walked. Carmichael stepped forward and slotted past the despairing dive of the Rob Roy keeper.


The referee showed more leniency on 25 minutes when Dick chopped down Carmichael on the touch line but only earned a booking for what amounted to assault.


5 minutes later and Cambuslang were in front courtesy of another spot kick, this time Brown was pulled down by the centre half Fletcher and yet again no card was forthcoming for the Roy player. Carmichael stepped up and with an identical kick to his first scored Langs second of the game. The Lang man then amazingly picked up a caution for..... Over Celebrating.


Cambuslang were stamping their authority in this one as Roy failed to mount any serious threat.


On 37 minutes Brown struck the post and the ball was cleared. Just before the break and Roy keeper Garba saved shots from both Brown and Carmichael.


Cambuslang grabbed their third of the game and it was Brown on hand to notch his 7th goal of the season. He got on the end of McCarrolls through ball and blasted past Garba from 12 yards.


Cambuslang almost grabbed another but McCarroll got in the way of a half hit shot that was eventually cleared off the line.


Rob Roy finished off the half with a goal and Rowan had no chance as Convey slotted home from 6 yards.

The first half ended in a strammash when Roy's Balmforth halved Langs Brown and earning a yellow card,  but the ref also booked Lang Feenie, Burns and McCarroll for their involvement which amounted to protesting at the shocking challenge.


H-T 3-2


The second half had a lot to live up to if it was to be anywhere near as good as the first, and it wasn't. The visitors resorted to the long ball game and were causing some problems for the Lang defence but nothing they didn't deal with.


Coulter went close on 51 minutes when his effort flew inches over the bar. McCrae entered the frae on 55 minutes with Tyczynski making way. Lang were given a scare on the hour mark when the visitors should have levelled the game but Convey somehow shot over from close range.


On 70 minutes Lang  Burns saw his shot was deflected just wide and from the resulting corner Carmichael volleyed just wide, what a goal that would have been had it gone in.


In injury time Cambuslang picked up another caution when McCrae was yellow carded.




Rowan, Fisher, Burns, Feenie, McGrath, Coulter, Carmichael (Paterson 82), Galloway, Brown (Young 86), McCarroll & Tyczynski (McCrae 55)

Subs Not Used