Cambuslang Rangers 2-3 Rutherglen Glencairn

Central Region 1st Division

Saturday 28th October 2006

At Somervell Park


Cambuslang Rangers suffered a derby day defeat when Glencairn visited Somervell at the weekend. A 5-goal fist half feast wasn't matched in the second half but it was the Rutherglen side that left with all 3 points.


This was Cambuslang's second match under caretaker management but it was not a second victory for messrs Malley and Shillady.


Cambuslang Rangers preparations were not helped with Andrew Noble, Chris Faulds and Chris Donnelly all asking for transfers after being left out against Vale of Leven in the previous game. Not the reaction you like to see from players.


Also missing were Chris Doyle due to suspension and the surging runs by Graham McCracken were sorely missed in the middle of the park.


There was disappointment when last weeks trialist Leon Kondol was ruled out of playing after Glencairn refused to release their former player and said they would release him after the game, as they did not want him playing against them.


This has also raised questions as to was he eligible to play last week v Vale of Leven?


Glens Open Scoring From Spot

Patrick (9) Scores From Spot For Lang


The match itself was a pretty even encounter and very little between the 2 sides except for silly mistakes that cost the Lang dear.


The visitors were awarded a penalty after the ball hit a Lang defender on the arm and the ref pointed to the spot, no way intentional but a spot kick was awarded. The kick was slotted home by McGladdrigan.


Soon after and Glens went close with a shot from Welsh that whistled inches wide. On 22 minutes, another dodgy decision from the ref this time went in Cambuslang's favour. Glencairn were adjudged to have handled in the box and another soft penalty awarded. With the AWOL Faulds unavailable, Patrick stepped up to send Glens keeper the wrong way and pull the Lang level.


A minute later and Cambuslang edged in front through Robertson, he latched onto a through ball and fired past the helpless Glens keeper from 20 yards.


Cambuslang's lead was short lived as Glens equalised courtesy of a wicked deflection. A free kick on the edge of the Lang box was struck by Dickson, which then rattled off the back of McGuigan, leaving Fusari helpless and the ball trundled over the line.


Cambuslang then had a decent effort saved when Reid forced McNab in the Glens goal into a fine stop from his close range header. Dickson for the Glens became the first caution of the game when he steamed in late on Wyatt.


Glens then took the lead just before the break. Fusari came to collect a cross into the box but was clearly nudged in the back and fumbled the ball but no free kick was awarded and the ball fell kindly for Paul who tapped home from close range to hand the visitors an unlikely interval lead.


Wyatt Given A Start

Guigsy Getting Up Close And Personal


The goal feat of the firs half never happened in he second 45 as both sides seemed to cancel each other out, but that's not to say both sides had many more chances to score.


Lang's first attack of the half should have resulted in a goal but Patrick powered over his header from 6 yards after a fine cross from O'Neil. McGiugan found himself in trouble with the ref after pulling down Welsh resulting in a yellow card.


Cambuslang had keeper Fusari to thank for keeping them in the game after he pulled off a stunning stop from McGladrigan's header. On 70 minutes Glens made their first change of the afternoon, Welsh replaced with Quinn Cambuslangs first change followed when Bannerman was replaced with Nolan. Patrick then had another chance to pull Lang level but the keeper did enough to allow the defender time to get back and get the tackle in. McGowan was the yellow carded for a foul. Fusari again came to Langs rescue when he saved superbly from McGladrigan.


A couple of substitutions interrupted the play and this saw Glens replace McGladrigan with McDougall and Lang introduce Keane at O'Neil's expense.


Another Stunning Stop From Fusari In Lang Goal

Bannerman Out jumps Welsh


With 5 minutes remaining the ref seemed to loose the plot a little when Nolan caught McDougall with a late challenge, this resulted in the Glens player confronting Nolan along with half the Glens team. The ref then began dishing out the yellow cards like confetti. Firstly, Quinn was shown a yellow for getting needlessly involved and McShane followed him but this was the Glens second booking so he was sent off. Jarvis too was cautioned along with Lang Patrick for their involvement in the melee


Cambuslang last chance of the game fell to Brain Martin and his sweet struck volley was heading towards the goal before it smacked off the backside of team mate Patrick and deflected out for a by kick and with it went Lang's last chance of a share of the spoils. Glens then ran down the clock at every opportunity and secured the 3 points.



Lang Line Up

For More Shots From The Game




















O’Neil (Keane 83)






Bannerman (Nolan 74)




Unused Subs





Click Here