Cambuslang Rangers 1-1 East Kilbride Thistle

Abercorn 1st Division

Saturday 29th November

at Somervell Sea Park


Cambuslang Rangers dropped their first home points of the season after a hard fought 1-1 draw at home to East Kilbride Thistle at the weekend. At rain lashed Somervell park they had to come from behind to snatch a share of the spoils with a excellent free kick from Paul Burns that cancelled out an earlier strike by Thistle's Tom Maider in a game that should never have been started  in the first place. Torrential rain for most of the morning had made the park very heavy with puddles all over the surface, making the movement of the ball on the surface very difficult indeed. The only question being asked before the game was how long before it would be abandoned?


The home side welcomed back flu victims Burns and Fennie back into the starting line up after missing last weeks match. The big surprise of the day was the omission of striker Richie Love, who didn't even make the bench.


As the game got under way it was the visitors who seemed to adapt on the surface a lot more easier than their Somervell counterparts. The heavy surface just didn't suit the free flowing football that the home fans had come accustomed to this season. East Kilbride posted their intentions early on and tested the home defence after 5 minutes but Rowan was on hand to deal with a dangerous cross into the box. After 10 minutes the Lang keeper could only stand and watch as Brownlie unleashed a superb shot that rattled the inside of the post before spinning along the line and out for a bye kick, much to the relief of the home support who had braved the elements. It wasn't long though before the visitors opened the scoring. On the 10 minute mark they got their noses in front courtesy of a powerful header from Maider who headed home from a corner that the Lang defence failed to cut out. Only a minute later and it was almost two, but Galloway headed Conway's effort off the line after another corner kick caused problems for the Lang defence. The first booking came mid way through the first half and it was Martin Fellowes of EK, who was the culprit as he went in late on Gary McGregor,and he received  a yellow card. The Lang's first real effort came from the boot of top scorer Brown who forced Moy's into a stop which was fumbled but gathered at the second attempt. Brown’s strike partner Alan McCrae should have done better on 36 minutes when his effort fizzed high over the bar from a good position.


H- T 0-1


As the second half started again the talk amongst the supporters was just how long the referee would allow this farce to continue as players were sliding all over the place and how someone was not seriously injured is another matter.   


The home side played better in the second 45 minutes. After only 10 minutes after the restart both managers were hauled together and just as everyone though that was it, the game continued, so just what was said is still unclear but with EK winning 1-0 at the moment it is unlikely they would want the game abandoned. But played did continue and it was the home team doing most of the pressing by this time. Lang were unlucky when a  Burns pass ball in found Galloway, who knocked it back across goal for  Holmes, but Holmes at full stretch couldn't get enough on the shot to trouble Moys in the EK goal. Cambuslang then replaced the hard working Galloway with Ferguson on the hour mark. The home side did get back on level terms after Burns stroked a free kick, conceded by Penman, calmly around the defensive wall and into the net giving Moys no chance. Cambuslang went close through Homes as his effort went inches wide from 20 yards. Two more substitution followed for the Lang as Carmichael replaced McCrae and Stoddart replaced Holmes. The home side could have found themselves a man down as Feenie cynically hauled down Brogan with space in front of the EK striker other ref's would have sent the Lang defender for an early bath. Both sides seemed to settle for the point as the game splodge to an end. 

And as one Junior Fan put it at the end

"I just hope Cambuslang’s ground staff gets started early on getting their park playable for their next home game because not even “Ground Force” would be able to fix that one"


Line up


Cambuslang Rangers – Rowan, Doak, McGregor, Feenie, Martin, Coulter, Galloway (Ferguson), Holmes (Stoddart 80), McCrae (Carmichael 73), Brown, Burns
SUBS NOT USED – Murphy, McCarroll


East Kilbride Thistle – Moy, Shearer, Penman, Mitchell, Maider, Rooney, Sweeney (Watson 67), Brownlie (Brogan 59), Fellowes (Taylor 81), Conway, Kerr
SUBS NOT USED – Graham, Bruce