Shettleston Town 2-0 Cambuslang Rangers

Rockware Glass Super 1st Division

Saturday 29th December

At Shettleston Park


Cambuslang Rangers dismal run continues after they failed to register a win for the 5th game in a row. There recent record speaks for itself with having won only 1 of the last 6 games. Although Cambuslang are still sitting near the top of the league they have played as much as 5 games more that some of the sides lurking behind and it's only now a matter of time before these sides over take the Lang and they begin to head towards the wrong end of the table. Saturday's defeat was not helped by the astonishing decision by the man in the middle to Red Card Lang's Stewart Taylor for nothing more than a miss timed tackle.


Cambuslang were once again without wide man McFarlane but apart form that manager Andy Cunningham had a full squad to pick from. Stevie McGovern kept his spot in goals at the expense of Wardlaw.


The home side let there intention be known as early as the 2nd minute when Jack forced McGovern into a fine stop. Cambuslang looked to have a glorious chance when Stoddart was in on goal with only the keeper between him and glory but to the astonishment of the crowd the referee pulled play back and awarded Shettleston a free kick for high feet, strange decision considering there was no one near Stoddart. This was to be one of the many mistakes from the man in black. The home side took the lead after 19 minutes. Some poor defending saw Thompson in on goal and he blasted past McGovern who could do little about it. Cambuslang responded instantly but the Town keeper easily saved Carmichael weak effort. McGovern in the Lang goal was called into action soon after and another vital stop prevented the home side from extending their one goal lead. The game was turned on its head after a poor decision from the referee resulted in Lang defender Stewart Taylor being sensationally Red carded for his fist tackle of the game. The Lang man miss times his tackle on the Town man and at most merited a caution, but just as Taylor was about to re join the Lang defence the referee produced the Red card and the whole place was astounded with this shocking decision. The town man was up and running about only minutes later showing no ill effects from the tackle. As the half time whistler blew players and management vented their anger at the officials and Lang's Carmichael picked up a silly booking for dissent.

H-T 1-0


Cambuslang started the second half with a little more purpose and should have levelled through skipper Holmes. Carmichael played a neat ball into Holmes but his shot on the turn flew over the bar. Shettleston used the extra man and were beginning to stretch the Cambuslang back line. Thompson went close with a header that had beaten McGovern but went inches over the bar. Cambuslang replaced the hard working Stoddart with Paterson and then brought on Dignam for Holmes. The home side looked to have added a second but the referee awarded the Lang keeper a free kick after he was impeded going for the ball. Shettleston grabbed the killer second on 70 minutes. Cambuslang were making very little inwards to the Town goal and indeed were lucky on a few occasions not to concede more. Keeper McGovern on hand to prevent any more embarrassment by producing 3 great saves in the closing minutes.


F-T 2-0


Cambuslang need to start picking up points, starting with this weekend when bottom club Shotts visit Somervell. Although stuck at the foot of the table, Shotts have already gave the Lang a hiding this season when they ran out comfortable 5-2 winners back in November.


Line up

McGovern, Doak, McGregor, Balmain, Kavanagh, Webster, Stoddart (Paterson 60), Ferguson, Holmes (Dignam 60), Carmichael (Daisley 70), & Taylor


Subs not used Galloway & McCrae